In the 21st century, more than half the European population lives in cities. These innovative economic centres offer citizens and their guests a sense of belonging through the direct experience of art and culture. The development of a unique urban culture enhances quality of life and creates a culture of coming together and social participation. Where urban society identifies strongly with its city, where it stands together and can prove its strengths, the city will be more successful in its development. It will be able to more effectively preserve and expand on quality of life, and ensure the creation of a culture of social participation and interaction. This ultimately benefits the image of the city. Apply for the “Prize for Urban Culture”! The award recognizes exemplary incentives in cities: projects, initiatives or campaigns (preferably with potential for long-term impact), which perceive and promote urban culture as a culture of urban coexistence.
Evaluation criteria of the jury
- _City cultural development plans and strategies
- _Original and creative presentation of the issues that will shape the cities future
- _Strengthening the sense of identity of citizens with their municipality
- _Inclusion of as many urban milieus as possible
- _Communicative effects in coherence with urban marketing strategies
- _Participation and cross-sectional integration of other areas
- _Concepts and projects with role model potential for other cities
Who can apply for this category?
Due to the funding structures, only cities from German-speaking countries can apply in this category. Activities and projects with the following criteria will be selected:
- _Improving the culture of coexistence in the city
- _Impact at the interface between administration, politics and civil society
- _Promotion of urban development or urban neighbourhoods
- _Involvement of as many partners from business, culture, civil society and science as possible
- _Promotion of a continuous dialogue with many urban milieus and external partners
Please register using the online registration form. Please send your application documents by August 31, 2019 to the competition office. The confirmation of your competition entry will be sent together with a bill for the application fee, which must be paid within 14 days of receipt.
Download the official announcement here.
Please submit the following materials for a proposal in the "Prize for Urban Culture" category:
- _free presentation, max. 10 pdf pages or powerpoint slides
- _at least three high-resolution images
- _a printable logo
- _brief summary of your application (500 characters)
- _tailer/image video (ca. 30 sec.), if available
- _possibly examples of initiatives (flyers, billboards, merchandising etc.)
The winners from previous years